Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Week 2 Forum

Topic 1: BIGGEST CHALLENGE

Organizing when I wanted to conduct my interviews was probably my biggest challenge. I waited a little too long and tried to squeeze all three of my interviews in on one day, thankfully it was able to work out just fine, but moving forward I need to give my self more time to write my story. Developing more thorough questions could be something I can work on for my next story, I don't want to be asking simple questions with one-line answers, I want to be able to get in-depth responses moving forward. Overall I felt very confident during my interviews, it was something new to me and I still have a lot to learn. It's hard to write everything down the person is saying so writing key words helped me out a ton. One thing that I will do differently next time when interviewing is developing more thoughtful questions.

Topic 2: EDNA

I thought this book was very interesting, and particularly what stood out me was that she goes into major detail and depth when dealing with the corpses of the victim. "Good homicide detectives go first to the victim's family, friends, and  neighbors to learn who he was, who his associates were, and why somebody wanted him dead." This quote from the book really stood out for me because you learn about what happens during the crime scene and she how she goes about her business is very impressive.

One tip that I learned from Edna so far is that she presents great interviews because she shows compassion. I visualize Edna having strong body posture during the course of her interview and that she makes eye contact with the person she is asking questions to. Overall she has respect for every person involved with the crime and as a journalist I think that is something to have in your arsenal when conducting interviews

No comments:

Post a Comment